"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Miracle Man!







Yes, that's me. I know, many of you that know me might doubt that but I healed an ANP (Afghan National Police) officer. We did our first mission which the details I'll leave in wonderment but it had to do with trainees firing there AK47s. We went to support DynCorp and it was nice to get out of the wire. We were out there for quite a while so I pulled out my trauma (BlackHawk) bag to get some stuff out and the next thing I know I have about 5 guys surrounding me with all there medical problems. Reminded me of an ER in the US without all the fancy stuff and coffee. Anyway, this guy turns out to have a pretty rough episode of bilateral shin splints. Can't imagine why with the quality of sandles and shoes around here. The moonlike terrain couldn't contribute, eh!? So, I call our terp (interpreter) over and we talk to the guy and I give him a motrin there and enough to last a couple of days. So, the next guy hops up and he's got a huge friggin' abdominal hernia that he'd had for a few years and a rip roaring sprained ankle. He's asking for surgery on his hernia etc....so, I figured I'd get him a flight back to Atlanta so Massoud or Renz (inside joke) could work on him. He reminded me of one of there crappier patients that rode his bike into a train in Lawrenceville. That's a long story in itself but everyone at Gwinnett will get the picture, vividly. I have the funny feeling I'll be seeing him again. I sent him on his merry way! So, by the time I sent weirdo on his way (about three minutes later) the other guy walks back over and tells me he feels much better, thank you. Our terp, who's very western, looks at me and says, see Afghans in the south are very different than in the north. That's why Taliban were down here! So, to the title. One magic pill, a talented PA and 3 minutes saved the man from the agony of shin splints. Whew! Tough day at work but someone had to do it. Maybe, if you're lucky I'll get a picture to load.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Hey Nathan! Have you got a permanent address yet? The family is chomping at the bit to send you some things. If you don't want to post it just email me. Thank all the guys for their sacrifice and service. Have a happy 4th, we'll be thinking of you.
Julie

ENLIGHTEN LIFEgroup said...

Shin Splints and an OTC!!!! WOW You are an amazing freaking allied healthcare professional.....Everyone knows that you treat shin splints with ICE cups...duh. Where is you head at dude? Just tell the guy to reach into the freezer and massage for 10 minutes 4 times a day. Gee Whiz! Don't you guys have simple access to paper cups, clean water, and a freezer????? Man oh man. Where did you get you foundational education....VSU?? ;)

ENLIGHTEN LIFEgroup said...

I gots to get me one of them hats. Where do I sign up? Can ya'll use an overeducated out-of-shape PhD ATC?

Terri said...

Hey Nathan! It is good to see that you are having a positive influence on the people there. We are missing you especially this week and will definitely be thinking of you tomorrow. Happy 4th of July!! Thank you for your sacrifice and everything that you are doing!!

Jeff Kouba said...

Time to amend the old saying to winning hearts and minds and shins!