"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Sunday, July 15, 2007

Um, has anyone seen the right side of my Humvee?

I find myself in a moment of reflection, while I listen to a little UB40. A momentary flashback if you will. Imagine driving to the local car dealer to pick your new vehicle of choice. Imagine driving it off the lot, traveling a little while through town to show it off to the locals, running a few errands and while doing that you turn a corner a little close and hit one of the few trees in your state resulting in the peeling off of the right side of your brand new vehicle. Well, that was a little like my day. Yes, while driving at a hefty 10 plus MPH I strafed one of about 10 trees on this post. It was a narrow road and this particular tree had some serious scuff marks from prior incidents. At any rate, the two right side uparmored windows were sheered right off. Gratefully, the mirror didn't break. The security team that stopped told me it happened about every other day which left me wondering why the damn tree was still in the ground. Then I thought, maybe some rogue Afghan tree hugger found a rare species of, lets say anything that can live here, under the tree roots. Maybe that’s why we spend thousands of dollars on vehicle parts instead of removing the tree. Anyway, the thought made me feel better. I didn’t really care much about getting the vehicle fixed as much as I knew the harassment that would be coming my way from “perfect” team mates that would nevvvvvver damage a vehicle. I could feel the sarcasm from miles a way. “OOHHH, doc wrecked the Humvee. Don’t ever let him drive again.” The fun started Corrigan and our interpreter, Habib. Corrigan cocked his 9mm and said, “no you didn’t just wreck our brand new vehicle and delay our stay here at KAF!? I was thinking it was nice to be close to the “S**t Pond” again and we could stay a few more days to let our clothes permeate before we head back. So, pictures had to follow along with berating behavior throughout the night.
OK, it's out in the open and I’ve officially owned up to it. I had a rough day and I’m glad it’s over. On the upside, my USAA premium shouldn’t go up!!

Thanks to my mom, R&R and the GMC Ortho day shift for the packages/letters. Love you all. It was like Christmas around here when we got out mail.

N

1 comment:

Lalla said...

Yes,,,, I can imagine how it must feel to get a brand new vehicle, namely a bright red Honda Civic, Circa around 1993 or was it 94, and then have your son call less than 36 hours to bemoan the fact that he'd crashed it into the back of another car, due to the "sun's reflection!" some things never change, Crash!!! Gotcha!! Mom
HI SCOTTY!!!!