"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Friday, February 1, 2008

Grateful to be in a Box

So, I was minding my own business today, taking care of business around the camp before heading to our local Log base to pick up my new Humvee.  More to follow on that!  So, nice and sunny until we got ready to leave then it blew in.  Holy scheizer!  By the time we got back tonight the winds had kicked up to the point that the tin was pulling off the roof of the shelters separating the shipping containers that we live in.  The tin was coming off with enough force to cut someone in half....not kidding.  So, I'm glad to live in a shipping container and not in the wooden huts like the enlisted guys!  I'm not so sure that one of those things couldn't shear the plywood they live in.  Now if I could do something about the water leaking all over my friggin room!
Yes, We went to pick up another Humvee today.  After the whole signing your life away thing, I walked over to one of the other officers from Georgia and told him I felt like a teenager getting his first car, but with a .50 cal and SAW (sqaud automatic weapon) to boot!  As I turned to walk away (close your ears mom) I said "It's time for me to get the *(&^ out of this country!  When a guy gets jittery over a new 1151, its just time to get out!"  
I'll let you know if our entire shelter blows away.  Who knows, I may wake up in Kansas tomorrow!
Everlasting Peace to you all!

1 comment:

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the - Web Reconnaissance for 02/04/2008 A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.