"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Monday, April 9, 2007

I'm back. Feel my pain.


Arrival back in KC was noted by said gentleman with Rat Tail/Mullet standing behind me while waiting for the bus to long-term parking. I took a deep breath then snickered to myself while treacherous echos of "achy breaky heart" fumbled through my traumatized mind. I realized I was only bringing misery on myself so I promptly diverted to Barney's "wheels on the bus."

Ah, it was good to see the family despite the difficult goodbyes. Seems like just as I get settled in, I have to pack up and leave. I'm ready to get on that plane to start the clock ticking. 365,4,3...... One thing that amazed me was how much I missed the smell of my wife and daughter. I didn't realize how much impact that had on my daily routine. My last night at home I couldn't deep breathe or hold them close enough.
So, on the plane were a bunch of Tennessee Guard guys flying up to Riley for a little pre Afghanistan "Funstomatic" training. I laughed to myself and remembered when I was a "FNG" (New Guy). Man, to be a fly on the wall about week 2 or so. It takes about 6 weeks to become numb to the pain. The hits kept coming when at the baggage claim was the same SFC that showed our team around the first few weeks. I passed on of the team and said "see you on the other side." At that moment I felt like I had all the knowledge in the world; my Army virginity had been lost. I've passed the test, I've been Funstoned. I'm no longer a Sailor in the Navy. I'm Green! Shh. Don't tell.

1 comment:

ENLIGHTEN LIFEgroup said...

Hey Bro!

Glad to hear that your Easter went well. You were on my mind and in my prayers. Aimee, Jack and I met my folks down in Pensacola for some RV camping....Less of the RV'ing and more of the camping, but it was pretty miserable weather, and Jack kept asking me what that noise was through the night (my folks chose a place about 1/2 a mile from a naval helicopter station). Here was my night... 1:00am "Daddy, whats that noise?"...."helicopter Jack, go to sleep....."OK"....2:00am THUP THUP THUP THUP..."Daddy, whats that noise?"..."helicopter Jack, go to sleep... and the same for 3, 4, 5, and 6am. It was not the fun you are having in Kansas, but probably about as repetitive and aggravating. Be well and keep up with the messages!

Scotty