"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I got nothing boss!

The internet actually came up for a while today so I started to put some blog material up and actually published it for about 20 minutes or so.  After realizing that the press would probably hound my family and get me put in prison for stating pro American, pro Christian and anti Taliban sentiments, I deleted it.  Call me weak but truthfully my rant was founded on press releases from the BBC and local press.  I figured spilling my opinion of the Islamic culture (IN THIS COUNTRY) would get me in trouble by mindless liberals out to get the bad American soldier who tramples across the world doing Satan's work.  So, moving on to a more cheery note.......
One of my best friends, who will be kept nameless for his safety from those mindless people, had a daughter in the last few days.  Congratulations!  Welcome to the whooped dad club! Every penis in the world has just become a problem.
In other news.  We have to be fairly aggressive driving on the streets of our lovely, star bright albeit smelly and dusty city.  One of our gunners is quite verbal, to say the least, to traffic that may delay our movement from point A to point B.  There's nothing like, well....anything to stop you at point A.5 if you get my drift.  So, we get people out of our way.  This particular guy has numerous, exhilarating sayings that ooze of intelligence far beyond his rank (for real).  Phrases like..."Get off my **$& road!" and "It's my road until I'm done using it!" "Are you friggin blind, oops, sorry!"  "Get your ass (for real, a donkey) off my road!"  He has a special way about himself.  He's the guy that wrote the eulogy for the cigarette....get my drift.  Smart and sassy!
Well, today we had a genius driving in the middle of the road, coming toward us and this gunner is waving and shouting, the whole Rules of Engagement thing, and finally points his 50 down down at the guy and screeches out with a trailing up and question mark pitch "Are you trying to die?"  Come to find out the guy didn't want to see Allah today and politely left about 20 ft of tire markings on the road and probably some fecal matter on his seat.  I know this was one of those "had to be there and had to know the guy" moments but man it was funny.  The pitch of his voice was so comedic.  
OK!  My moment.  Moving on.
Bev thanks for the box.  It took less than a month to get here.  Mary Lou, slowly getting your stuffed animals out to little girls and sometimes Police when they don't intentionally try to get us killed.  That's a plus in my book.  They get a star or stuffed animal for playing nice.





1 comment:

David M said...

The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 03/12/2008 News and Personal dispatches from the front lines.