"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Just for the Medical Folks

Sorry for the long break. I came off a 4 day weekend for St Patrick's Day weekend and a long week ensued to make up for the time off. Of course, there's still no true, realistic internet access on Camp Funston, so checking email and updating the blog became secondary to sleep.
I've had some requests from readers to expound on my position on this team. Our sites are supposed to be screened for OPSEC and even if not I try my best not to elude too much info. If you have specific questions, please email me if I don't answer them in a post. My email is nathanamanda99@yahoo.com. When you email me, I'll email you from another aol account, so be looking for it. I don't like putting my real email on the site because of spam. My us.army acct is frozen secondary to the (#Y&TY CAC system and I'm not in the mood to waist hours of precious time on the phone with the "help desk." Yes, I went to the local CAC people who told me there was nothing they could do. I'll get off this soap box because I know most of you hate the CAC thing as much as I do.
So, let me get to it. I'm a PA that was mobilized to support a 16 man light infantry team who is tasked to mentor the ANA at battalion level. This is obviously not a full company or even platoon, thus the support to the ETT is not typical. ETTs are at multiple levels, the 16 man team being the smallest of the teams. Most teams are Army, some are Air Force and Navy. They very in size from ours to significantly more depending on the level they are designed to support ie. Brigade, Corps etc, with the goals of training the ANA/ANP.
Some Medics and PAs are falling in at the Brigade level as trainers to our medical counterparts in the ANA. Some of us, ie me, are falling in at lower levels to support our own guys. Remember, most of the small teams don't have assigned medics because they aren't companies.
My goal is variable depending on where we go and how rural we are. If I am super rural, there may not be a BAS. I will make one and supply care to my men and the ANA as I am able. If there is an established BAS, I'll make my services available to the station as well as assist my team in any personnel issues that come up. I'd also like to do some local medical treatment to establish report among the locals.
As far as training goes, medics go through 4 two hour courses and a check off for mass casualty type situations. I attended just to be with my AMEDD brethren. I needed a break from my killer buddies. Lovem' as the are! Your team will all go through CLS and all will carry cards by departure. Why, because you don't have a medical platoon! You may be the only medical professional for 1 to 2 days before possible evac. They will become your assistants in time of need. I like the concept especially if something happens to me!
Anyway, that's the gist. Anything else, I'll be glad to help as I have more to offer.

No comments: