"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Monday, March 5, 2007

Today started with a brisk 2 mile run at 0600 promptly followed by a two minute ingestion of miniwheats and yogurt. I'm sure it was good but I didn't take time to taste it in fear of missing weapons draw and the innevitable harrassment that would follow from the NCOs for not being on time.
Ah yes, the weapons draw. There's nothing like getting handed a brand new M4 Carbine (machine gun )with CCO (close combat optics-"scope") and PEQ2 (laser site). Then you get a brand new M9 (9MM pistol). Ah, yeah. Wait!! What the heck is a PA-c doing with a tool like this? Where the hell am I going that I need this and quick, get me my script pad and stethoscope so I can feel at home!! Suddenly, the overwhelming truth hit me. "I won't be in a sterile field/environment for at least another year. I know a few MDs that would stroke at that thought. Now I get it. That's why they send PAs. OK, I do have a purpose and I am in the right place!"
Well, not much else happening but cultural briefs on Afghanistan all packaged in a nice politically correct package. We had two Afghans come in and answer real questions and an excellent speaker/expert on Afghanistan give talks as well. Very informative and all agreed that our purpose is still honorable and desired by the people we are going to train.
Later all.

No comments: