"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Friday, September 7, 2007

Reflections

I pride myself on screening my blog to minimize the stresses at home about our safety over here and I'll continue to do so but we all know we are at war and men and boys are dieing in and around our area of battle. The British have lost several men since we've been here and mostly you can shuck it off and carry on but lately I've been a little reflective.
I'm so grateful for my wife and daughter and I can't wait to get home to see them. My family and friends have been so supportive that words cannot express my gratitude and not a day goes by that I don't think about all of you for some reason or another.
My father served 21 years in the Air Force. My grandfather was a B17 navigator and POW in Germany during WWII. Now I'm here. I think about all of you that have supported us with prayer, care packages, letters and more prayers and I can't help but reflect on my life and how blessed I've been and how amazing God has been to bless us all so much.
We are hanging low for a few days and I've been mellow on music and searching the net for memories. I clicked on that classmates.com thing to see where some of my classmates were in Florida and then I found myself looking for evidence of my existence in the Philippines. Well, I found this website www.whoa.org that highlights graduates or students and teachers from Wagner High School at Clark Air Base in the Philippines. Some of you may know that the base was essentially destroyed when Mt Pinatubo erupted and this website carries on some of the memories for those of us that went to school there.
So, why am I talking about this? Most of you that know me, mostly my wonderful wife, know that I can't be serious too long without throwing something funny into the mix to break the stress. So, go to the web page, click on yearbooks, 88, then Freshman and you'll see my name and get a good laugh at that handsome 14 year old stud. For another laugh, click on seniors and look up my brother, Shane. And Kristin, don't think you'll get away. My wonderful sister-in-law can be found in the Junior section, last name Iverson.
So, I've shared my heart and what God gave me to raise my spirits.
Love you all. Thanks so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and the Bull Dogs in this time of grief...Tommy Trojan
Go PAC-10