"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11



It's an interesting perspective from this side of the world concerning the "War on Terror." There's this constant barrage of mindless, fear inspiring news from American CNN and other news networks as well as Sky News, a British counterpart to the Fox, CNN et al, concerning our place in the war and meaningless polls pronouncing the public's position on it. As I raised a special flag over my Humvee today, all I could think about wer the Tower's falling to the ground, the thousands of people that died in them and the sacrifices of the troops and families that have fought to keep the war abroad instead of at home. I have this deep seeded desire to see this war fought and finished correctly without the chasm that partisan politicians sell their souls for. This is not a political commentary, I'm dissatisfied with both parties severely, especially when they use this date and tragedy to better position themselves for a venomous political posture.
Bottom line is that some of us serve to kill, some serve to save (both in my particular situation) but all of us serve, as did the veterans that have gone before us for nearly 300 years, to prevent our children from being in this god forsaken position in the future. There are bad people that cannot be rehabed in this world. Some people need judgment sooner than others and that's our job. So, ask a soldier, marine, sailor or airman what they think. It's probably more accurate to ask the guys in the field, despite their branch. Turn off CNN and Fox and support your local paper that hasn't bought into the machine. I've seen a lot of local articles that really share the views of the soldiers over here in Afghanistan without the hype and sensationalism of the "big boys" that would love nothing more than for you to babble their half truths to your friends and further boost their program ratings and advertisement dollars.
You guys figure out who depleted my day yet. Yep, politicians and the big news channels that hype the crap they speak. I've probably watched 10 hours of television in the last 6 months and it's been the best thing for my mind as well as my body (lowers blood pressure). Today, I check out a little news to see what's happening for 9/11 and I get Hillary Clinton and George Bush and blah blah blah from both sides of the fence thanks to the giant "non-biased" media.
You may ask yourself, what does one do then. Hmm, some internet blogging perhaps, maybe some journaling, fitness, local hobbies like looking for Taliban through your scope, avoiding IEDs while "hunting" and maybe, just maybe, lots of reading about nothing to do with current events.
Glad I got that off my chest. Do I sound like I'm rambling? Must have been the TV influence today!
Back to what matters. Today is a day of remembrance, a day that should arouse the painful memories of 6 years ago. Peal the scab away and remember. Remember the blood that has shed by all Americans and coalition forces that have been returning the favor to the Taliban.
So, above is my track (Humvee) on 9/11. We fly flags in a war zone every day to let them know whose roaming around in their house. What do you fly in front of your house before you leave for work?
And......... lastly, this is why I'm here.
WHEW! Glad that's over with. You probably are too!

1 comment:

Angelle Lowery said...

Wow! I can't believe how much Leah has grown! You all look great!