"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Best view yet




Ironically, Afghanistan has been fought over essentially its entire existance. Mind you, we're down south and I haven't seen much worth fighting over yet. When you see green down here its poppy or a fresh Mary Jane plant and some corn blah blah. So, we go on this mission along the river and I had to admit there was some stunning terrain. I'm actually thinking about starting a realestate business over here. It may pay off in 40 years or so. By the time we get out of here I could be an official tour guide. For some reason I don't think my wife would be up for it.

Anyway, some of you may know that many major figures built palaces and compounds all over this country. In the south, everything worth while runs along a river.

Here are some pics of a spot we checked out. I kept asking Sekula where the friggin "brown sign" (you know the ones I'm talking about) was to tell us who lived there and why it was important. I had visions of my mother reading the "brown sign" all the way across the country in order to further Shane's and my knowledge. Flashbacks man! Anyway, I found myself desiring that damn sign. Never found the sign but we did find some scat and saw a few Taliban hauling tail away from us on the opposite side of the river.
Checkout Corrigan's "Helmand 911" page for some new updates. He's got some good comments on the pictures.



No comments: