"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Back to the Basics

One of the several reasons I started this page was the hope to be informative to my fellow practitioners that might be in my shoes one day. I've been fortunate to meet a couple of you and have received some emails on the side about questions concerning the mission. Hooah! (It's an Army thing and frankly, I'm not sure I get it quite yet). Still don't get the Hoorah! from back in the Navy days either. I always preferred aye aye. Said more to me. Anyway, moving on.....So, I thought I'd drop a global refresher for those of you not bold enough to drop me an email. I don't bite you know.....well.......my wife may beg to differ. And at that she blushes and can't wait for me to call and tell me how embarrassing that statement was! Alright, back to the task at hand. If you are mobilized to Camp Phoenix for support of Operation Enduring Freedom it is true that you may not be doing what you currently expect. Case in point, me! I'm a PA, mobed to be a PA and I'm a, well, Infantry PA with the emphasis on infantry. If you happen to be Navy or Air Force, you are of the lucky that may get to do your job. You are not combat arms and will probably cover down on a TMC or the like. You may, if you are in the Army, get to cover down on a ANA mentor position. You may support a TMC or hospital. You may be an infantry PA and cover down on the PMT (police mission) and sundry other not so normal jobs for PAs. You could find yourself the sanitation expert on your little world. You may be slightly more advanced in entomology by the time you leave here. You name it, you may be it. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying be prepared. So, number two. Logistics (class 8/medical supplies)coming out of Phoenix is as effective as getting an upper GI endoscopy to remove hemorrhoids, eventually you may see some of it but its gonna hurt. Point here. Bring as much medicine as you can from your mobe station. An extra tuff box may be sufficient with basic primary care type meds. Most of what I see around here are common HEENT complaints, dyspepsia, occasional inflammatory diarrhea but mostly transient that's treated without abx. Now, some other areas around the country go through tons of Cipro so I'd be prepared. Also, think National Guard, think over thirty and weekend warrior. Think Tylenol, Motrin and Aleve. You'll use it, I promise. Don't feel like you need to load up on IVF, tourniquets and stuff like that. Get some extra but don't load down on that. It's harder to get normal supplies. Don't worry about narcs, you can get them at Phoenix. DO BRING a copy of your license as well as credentialing packet from whatever branch you're in. I carry it on a thumb drive and have had the opportunity to work in some coalition ORs. Most of them will be glad to let you help but will want some proof of training and credentialing. Come on, wouldn't you! Hell, I don't even want some credentialed people working on me! Don't him haw about that statement. All you providers can name a few of them!
Alright, I'll stop the babble. I do want to hear from you if you have questions. I'm here to help and I do speak my mind. Mind you, the opinions expressed in this blog are those of a professional that usually practices in the real world and these are not necessarily the opinions of the US Army. I cannot be held responsible for the truth and reality that pass my lips and I'll deny the truth if questioned under a white light!
PS .At Riley, pay attention to soldier skills. The rest is fairly useless. Reality is here and as long as you have common sense, the ability to use your weapon and a decent capacity to adapt to environments, you'll be fine. That is unless you are at a flag pole. Then all you need to know is.....Is your unit patch correct or are you wearing your reflective PT belt in the day time. Another is the wearing a helmet in the Humvee while driving a max of 10mph on KAF. You get my drift. We call them FOBbits. They still get to worry about nothing while the rest of us go outside the wire and do the job that needs to be done.
Peace, love and 7 months.

No comments: