"Fear breads a deadening caution, a holding back, a stagnant waiting until people no longer can recall what they are waiting for or saving themselves for. When we fear failure more than we love life; when we are dominated by thoughts of what we might have been rather than by thoughts of what we might become; when we are haunted by the disparity between our ideal self and our real self; when we are tormented by guilt, shame, remorse, and self-condemnation, we deny our faith in the God of love." Brennan Manning

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I'm no genius but hey, I got this one

My little clinic is quite meager to tell the truth. I'm a high priced addition to any team that doesn't have a full up medical team. That being a TMC (troupe medical clinic) or higher. I was beckoned to come see one of the high ranking individuals on the FOB and found him to be lying in bed, weak and rather confused. Well, as I began talking with him, via my interpreter, I found his responses to be rather confusing and inappropriate. I asked how long he'd been sick and if he'd been seen by a doctor downtown. Well, of course, only the "best doctor" and this is what he gave him......Tylenol, a muscle relaxer and some vitamins as well as some antibiotics. Nice, anything else. Yes, a negative malaria test and a normal white blood cell count. Good. Well, have the (person) stand up. HMM..rather weak. I do a little strength testing and other neuro tests and tell the other high ranking individuals that it may be good to get him to the hospital because the least of his worries requires antibiotics and pain relievers, the ..... has had a stroke and needs further treatment. They were blown away. No way, a stroke. What's that? Oh boy, here we go, just get him downtown to that "best doctor" in the hospital to get him evaluated for a stroke, not an infection.
Bottom line. If you are a civilian, don't get sick here. Very scary!!!! Can you imagine the size of the lawsuit that'd bring in the US. Whew! Gave me heartburn just thinking about it. At any rate, said individual has connections and power and got treated at a coalition facility and is being transferred to another facility for appropriate rehab.
I'm know I'm just an ortho guy and I'm no genius, but I got this one!

1 comment:

ENLIGHTEN LIFEgroup said...

Well Gee.....can you say broad side of a BARN! Just had to throw in some MMT's didn't ya? Neuro....psshh got to go all the way to afganny to prove that you can do neuro....